Monday, October 10, 2011

Banking in Mexico, Part One

Random thoughts on banking in Mexico...and this is just the first part. 

Debit cards here don't have your name on them. At least the ones from Bancomer don't. Do other bank's debit cards have names on them?

Pro: when you lose yours {or if it's stolen...ahem!} you can get a replacement card immediately by going to any branch with your I.D. and checking account information. Right then and there they assign a new card to your account. 

Con: you need to really be careful with your card. If you lose it and don't realize straight away, anyone can forge your signature...there is no way to match the card to the owner. 

An old debit card...I still erased the number to be safe ;)

Anyway, that was my random thought today while I was at the bank this morning when I realized that in all the other countries I've lived in, your name was always on your debit card.

I'm still debating whether this is a good or bad thing.

1 comment:

  1. My Santander Serfin debit card has my name on it... it´s a bad thing not to have your name on it!! (Im sure you can personalize your card by paying some more pesos LoL). Un abrazo!BlanCarral

    ReplyDelete